Monday, July 8, 2013

The Flirting Games by Stella Wilkinson

The Flirting Games (The Flirting, #1)
The Flirting Games by Stella Wilkinson
Series: Flirting, #1
Source: Free on Amazon
Publisher: Self-published
Publication Date: March 23, 2013
Eleanor Parkhurst is determined to get in the way of Nathaniel Naverly seducing her sweet cousin Rose. Nate has a history of treating girls badly and Ellie suspects his intentions are far from honorable. Getting Nate to switch his attention to her seemed like a good plan, but Ellie didn’t foresee that she might have to protect her own heart from his schemes as well. The game is proving a challenge. Midnight meetings, fighting or kissing, it’s all part of the fun of flirting. Set in an English boarding school, Ellie and her American new best friend, Flora, discover that boys are more complicated than classes, and you have to play the game well or you might just get played!
.5
At nearly fifteen, you didn't let boys see you going about looking like a scarecrow.

Flirting Games was just your average YA contemporary, but shrunk down to novella size. I found myself wishing that it had been longer, because I was really enjoying the sweet/not-sweet love that was forming between Nate and Ellie. My only problem with this book was that it was just a tad too short-- that, and there were some random grammar mistakes. But I'm not very worried about them, because seriously, grammar isn't one of my strong points. ;)

Nathaniel was a jerk at first, and I didn't like the way that he played with girl's emotions, but as the story went on I began to appreciate the complete 180 that he was doing over Ellie. I love it when guys like that fall in love-- it's always ridiculously intense! Their love came a little too fast, but I'm willing to overlook that because of the novella status of THE FLIRTING GAMES.

I liked Ellie. She cares for her friends, and I enjoyed the ridiculous lengths that she was willing to go through to stop Nathaniel from playing her friend Rose. I loved that she was willing to stand up for herself when she needed to, and that she wasn't so easily impressed by Nate. I liked their banter, especially the P&P references!

I also liked the interconnected love stories that hint at the next books-- they were sweet. My only problem with that is that I wanted to just focus on the main couple.

All in all, THE FLIRTING GAMES was a very sweet, cute read. I really enjoyed it. (:
Meg's Signature

1 comment:

  1. I thought that was a very intelligent concise review and I have addressed the grammar errors. Many thanks, Stella x

    ReplyDelete