Monday, July 15, 2013

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

CoralineCoraline by Neil Gaiman
Series: N/A
Source: Library
Publisher: HarperFestival
Publication Date: October 28, 2008

When Coraline explores her new home, she steps through a door and into another house just like her own... except that it's different. It's a marvelous adventure until Coraline discovers that there's also another mother and another father in the house. They want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. They want to keep her forever!

Coraline must use all of her wits and every ounce of courage in order to save herself and return home.



 
This is one of the few books where I actually saw the movie first. After seeing that movie I figured at least books are usually better anyway since I didn't like the movie. I was horribly wrong. This book was just about as bad, if not worse.

It seems that a lot of people really love this book, but I just don't see it. I didn't care about any of the characters.. well maybe the cat since he was so snarky. This book is supposed to be creepy and honestly I was bored throughout the entire thing.

The only really good thing that comes out of the story is that Coraline realizes that her life isn't as bad as she thought and that her parents are perfect just the way they are. Coraline was supposed to be smart girl wasn't she? Then why did it seem that she kept making the worst choices imaginable when all of the signs were right in front of her? Don't even get me started on her parents. They acted like their own child was nothing but a bother to them and that their work was more important. Is it really any wonder that she almost stayed with her "other" parents though?

Will I be checking out another of Neil Gaiman's works? Sure, I won't judge him based on just one of his books. Just because I wasn't a huge fan of this one doesn't mean that you won't be.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment