Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: All Over You by Beverley Kendall

All Over You by Beverley Kendall
Series: Unforgettable You, #1.5
Source: Bought
Publisher: Season Publishing LLC
Publication Date: May 6, 2013
An ex is an ex for a reason.

To Rebecca Winters, it’s not just a saying or the title to a catchy tune, it’s a rule she staunchly lives by. Especially since the break up with her ex. What’s the point in trying to fix the “unfixable”? Besides, only a girl hell-bent on more heartbreak would go back to the guy who bailed on her when she needed him most. But saying no to Scott is becoming more difficult than surviving the breakup itself. And unfortunately for her, the kind of pressure he's exerting is making her rule all too easy to break.

Scott Carver has given up trying to get over his ex. He’s still in love with her and their year apart has done nothing to change that. Yeah, he knows he screwed up. Just how royally, he wasn't aware of until now. So when Becca agrees to give him a second chance, he grabs on to it with both hands. But it’s clear the only way things will ever truly be right between them is if he comes clean…about everything. He can only pray the truth doesn't send her running—for good this time.

An ex is an ex not by chance but for a reason.

This is a much longer novella than I expected, but I enjoyed reading about Rebecca and Scott. I liked the dual point of view, so you could hear what each of them were feeling. They're both oh-so-stubborn, so unwilling to do what they both obviously want. Becca took a while to like; she's always sending mixed signals and is a bit childish at times. I like that Scott has a mysterious past that you don't find out about until the end, but I didn't like what the past actually was. It's a bit weird to me, because I don't see how it really fits.

I really liked the theme of second chances. And I'm not just talking about a second chance at Becca and Scott's relationship, but also about a second chance with family. Becca's father left before she was even born, and Becca wants nothing to do with him. She's dislikes him even more after he contacts her for the first time in sixteen years. Now, three years later, Becca's unwilling to talk or meet with him. I love that their relationship improves by the end of the novella. Although she doesn't actually meet him yet, it's implied that they will. And she likes his new family so it's a good start. (:

The writing was okay, but I what I couldn't stand were the typos. And the lack of commas! In some sentences, the missing comma didn't change the meaning of it, but in others, you really really need that comma. And sometimes the author forgets to put the comma before the final quotation mark. It's not a big deal, and I'm pretty sure most people aren't going to notice, but it's really annoying when I read and I find them.

Overall, this is a short and enjoyable read. I liked that this can be read without reading the first book (which is exactly what I did). I look forward to reading about the other characters in this series. (:


.5

No comments:

Post a Comment