Friday, August 30, 2013

Interview with Cornelia Funke

Cornelia Funke
A Little About Cornelia:
Cornelia Caroline Funke is a multiple award-winning German author of children's and YA fiction. She is best known for her Inkheart trilogy. The Inkheart books have gained a variety of attention, and critics have praised Funke as the "German J. K. Rowling". Her books are very popular in her native country, and many have now been translated into English. Her work fits mainly into the fantasy and adventure genres. She currently lives in Los Angeles, California.

Connect with her:
Website || Goodreads || Twitter || Facebook

*Interview*
I adored your Inkheart series when I was younger, because I loved the idea that Meg could just read things from books into being. How did you come up with Meg and Mo’s abilities?
I always wanted to write a story where characters come out of a book. Every book eater knows the feeling that they sometimes feel even more real than our closest friends. But I didn't know how. Until I thought of my own enchantment when I hear a good reader. Only a human voice brings printed words back to the life they own - we so easily forget that they are sound. From there it was all easy:)

Facebook or Twitter?
Facebook. I need more than just a few words:)

What qualities/quirks do you share with Meg?
I am a book eater like her and I think I was as shy with boys as she is at the beginning although I was always very good friends with them.

Chocolate or Vanilla?
Chocolate

Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what’s you favorite genre?
Yes, while I write I love to listen to the music that fits the world I am writing about. So Baroque music for the Inkworld, Schubert and Nutcracker for MirrorWorld:) in the car I listen to Coldplay , Adele and Regina Spector

What is your favorite word?
zaertlichkeit - it's the German word for Tenderness

Dustfinger and Farad were the best sidekicks (can I call them sidekicks?) ever. Did you base them off of anyone that you knew?
Dustfinger resembles in some ways my late husband but not in every aspect. he just stepped into my imagination and was wild and wonderful and in some ways my own male alter ego ( or let's say as free and wild as I would like to be:)

I remember when the movie {Inkheart} first came out. Were you disappointed at all with how it turned out?
Yes, quite disappointed. Especially as the shooting had been absolutely magical and everyone had been so passionate about it. But movies are strange beasts - so many things can go wrong. I also think that novels are in general to complex for a two hour film. that's why I didn't allow MirrorWorld to be filmed so far.

When you’re not writing, what do you like to read?
Sherlock Holmes, Neil Gaiman, poetry, non fiction...another printed dish every day

Can you tell us a little about your next project?

I am working on the second draft of The Golden Yarn, the third book in my MirrorWorld series. I am lost in Russian fairy tales and behind the Mirror with Jacob and Fox:)

Check out her Books---

Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment